UK NGOs including CAFOD, Christian Aid and Oxfam International are working with Peru to prepare for and solve the numerous problems created by climate change. In addition UK NGOs Progressio and Practical Action are committed to supporting local adaptation projects in Peru.
The British Government recognises Peru’s vulnerability to climate change. On its website, the British Embassy in Lima emphasises that it is “devoted to supporting Peru in its work to achieve climate security”. Furthermore, the Embassy has outlined a number of collaborative projects it plans to undertake with both the government of Peru and the private sector in 2010.
- The British Embassy’s Climate Change Office in Peru will run the following activities in Peru during 2010:
16 – 17 August 2010 – Carbon Market workshop for businessmen and high level officials
- 30 September – 1 October – 2nd Regional Climate Finance workshop (in conjunction with the Ministries of the Economy and Environment)
- 2010 – Climate change dialogue with political parties dialogue on climate change
- A series of three dialogue sessions implemented by National Accord and Transparencia, the first of which took place in Tarapoto on 14 June.
- Business opportunities report on low carbon goods and services for Peru with CONFIEP and National Society of Industries as implementers.
- Regional study on social impacts of climate change under coordination with UNDP.