Anglo sells part of its interest in Quellaveco to Mitsubishi

17 June 2018

Anglo American announced on 14 June that it has agreed to sell 21.9% of its share in Quellaveco in the Moquegua region for US$600 million to Mitsubishi. This will bring up the Japaneses company’s participation to 40%, with Anglo holding on to the remaining 60%.

Completion of the deal is due to take place in the autumn, subject to conditions being met. Mitsubishi has hitherto held an 18.1% share in the project.

Of the US$600 million, US$500 million will be paid on the deal being signed, US$50 million when production at Quellaveco reaches 150,000 tonnes a day and the final US$50 million when output hits 180,000 tonnes a day. The mine is expected to begin production in 2022.

Anglo American was hard hit by the decline in copper prices in recent years. Although it has owned Quellaveco for the last 20 years, it has failed to develop the mine which is forecast to cost US$5.5 billion. The project sparked protests from surrounding communities, but Martín Vizcarra, when president of Moquegua region, managed to broker a deal between the communities and the company.

With prices of copper rising on world markets, interest in investing in Peruvian mines is increasing.

All news

  • PSG Aims

    The Peru Support Group exists to promote social inclusion, sustainable development and the observance of human rights in Peru. To that end the PSG highlights shortcomings in observance of established norms, whether international or local in nature, in its research, advocacy and publications. In so doing, it underscores the relationships that exist within the political system, how institutions work, and the effectiveness of policies that aim to reduce poverty and inequality within the context of sustainable development.

  • Historical Overview

    Over the past century Peru has suffered a series of autocratic governments and a civil war in which nearly 70,000 people died. Many of the country's ongoing political and social problems are a legacy of its somewhat turbulent past. 

  • Human Rights

    Human rights violations were widespread during the twenty years after the initiation of armed conflict in 1980. Efforts to convict perpetrators since the war's end have made only limited progress. Today, concerns remain over the treatment of those engaged in social protest, particularly against strategically important investment projects.

  • Why join the PSG?

    • Keep up to date with latest news and developments in Peru
    • Learn about key issues of poverty, development and human rights in Peru
    • Support the work of the Peru Support Group

    Become a member